Synagogues of Calcutta (Kolkata)
Calcutta (Kolkata) has always been a meeting pot of various cultures & religions. Jews were one of the last communities to arrive in Calcutta (Kolkata) but within a short span of time they made their presence felt by controlling a large section of the trade in Calcutta (Kolkata).
Once the Jews in Calcutta (Kolkata) numbered 6000 and had an active community complete with Synagogues where various religious rituals were carried out.
The independence of India in 1947 and the birth of the Jewish state of Israel in 1948 marked the decline of Jewish population in Calcutta (Kolkata). Today the only about 30 Jews are left in the city.
But the two synagogues, Beth El & Maghen, of Calcutta (Kolakta) still stands. Declared as protected monuments they are looked after by the Archeological Survey of India (ASI).
The Beth El Synagogue built in 1856, is located on Pollack Street while the Magen David Synagogue built in 1884 is located at the junction of Brabourne Road and Cannig Street (Biplabi Rashbehari Road)
A permission is required from David Nahoum, one of the last remaining Jews who runs the famous confectionary at the New Market, to visit the Synagogues.