In the middle of nineteenth century British surveyors stumbled upon a towering structure deep in side the Sundarban. Locally known as the Jatar Deul, this brick built structure is considered as one of the oldest intact structures of the state.
Although the forest have long cleared reaching the Jatar Deul is a adventure in itself. A train ride to Mathurapur Road (on Laksmikatapur / Nmakhana line) is followed by a over crowded auto ride to Raidighi. Finally a bumpy motor van ride completes the journey to Kankandighi, where Jatar Deul is located. The total journey takes almost 4 hours.
Nothing much is known about the history of Jatar Deul. A copper plate found near the temple in 1875 suggests that Raja Joychandra constructed the temple in 975 AD. The plate has long been missing and absence of any other historical records on Joychandra has still kept the historians in the dark.
The name Jater Deul probably originated from the matted hair of Shiva but others believe that it was due to a "tiger with matted hair" who once took shelter in the temple.
Jatar Deul is an abandoned temple and its inner sanctum has no idols but locals have placed several idols which are being worshiped.
Today Jatar Deul is a protected monument under ASI but years of unscientific restoration has robbed the temple of much of its former glory.